Monday, May 14, 2007

An Up-Close and Personal Connection with the Iraq War

I was a child at the onset of World War II, yet I remember many of the sacrifices that families in America had to make to support the war effort. We also had family members involved, and I recall being acutely aware of the war and connected on a mental, emotional and physical level.

Despite any feelings I have had about being for or against this war in Iraq, I was never touched by this conflict at a personal level—until recently.

A friend in St. Louis that I have known since first grade, and have had a letter-writing correspondence with for half a century, wrote and asked permission to give her grandson, James, my name and telephone number. She said he was in the U.S. Air Force, and was on temporary duty at a base near my home. Naturally I agreed, thinking it was highly improbable he would ever contact me. I was wrong.

A week ago he called and wanted to meet me. I was delighted. After several conversations we firmed up plans to meet at a restaurant. At that time, he also asked for my e-mail address, which he subsequently shared with his mother.

The next day I received a lengthy and caring e-mail from his mother, the daughter of my childhood friend, which included an attachment of family photos. We had never met.

As the days passed, I began to feel the unspoken yet palpable emotional expectations of this family, so far removed from their loved one. My focus changed from this being a courtesy gesture to one of much greater import. On my way to meet James, I prayed that our coming together would be everything he and his family needed.

James proved to be a delightful young man that any family would be proud to call their own. He was extremely bright, charming, well-mannered, filled with joy and enthusiasm for life, and passionate about the wonderful training he was receiving in the military. He was also So Very Young.

On leaving the restaurant he took out his cell phone and dialed a number, then handed it to me. He had made a prior arrangement with his grandmother that he would call her. We had a good time exchanging mutual admiration comments about James. His wife, Marie, also called while we were together to tell him goodnight, and say hello to me.

Then James suggested we sit in his truck as he wanted to show me some photos. He proceeded to scroll through almost 200 cell phone photos of his daily duties and his buddies. His current assignment was at a shooting range where jets and helicopters practice shooting live ammunition and bombs into old airplanes, tanks and other vehicles. It was his unit’s job to find and de-fuse or explode any "live" munitions and to clear the resultant debris—a hazardous and yet necessary duty.

After more than three hours together, and being sensitive to his long drive back to the base, I realized it was time to go. As we embraced, I realized I was hugging him for his parents, his grandparents and all his family members, as well as for myself and anyone who has ever had loved ones away from home serving our country.

On the drive home, I felt humbled and grateful to be part of such a precious human love chain. I knew the ripple effect would touch everyone who was living vicariously through our meeting.

The minute I got in the house, I e-mailed his mother with full details of our time together. The next morning I received her e-mail response, in which she said it had been a year since she had seen James. I was moved to tears. She thanked me, and wished me Happy Mother’s Day.
_____________________________
Copyright 2007 by Fern Stewart Welch

The author’s book THE HEART KNOWS THE WAY—How to Follow Your Heart to a Conscious Connection with the Divine Spirit Within is available at Amazon.com and other online booksellers, as well as through major bookstores such as Barnes & Noble and Borders.

No comments: