Monday, April 20, 2009

Today Is the First Day of the Best Years of Your Life

This twist on a well-known expression wafted into my consciousness about nine months ago and has taken up permanent residence: Today Is the First Day of the Best Years of Your Life! The fact that the emphasis was on the word “your” is probably why the statement caught my attention as it didn’t seem to come from me as much as being directed to me.

As the months passed, and I began using the declarative “promise” as a daily affirmation, I realized that no phrase could have captured more perfectly my desire for a continuing joyous anticipation of the future. These words never failed to fill my heart with joy and my mind with a child-like expectation of good. The knowing that they could be self-fulfilling made me smile, as they ignited my imagination. While a child’s idea of a special gift usually conjures up thoughts of material things, hard-won wisdom has taught me to value that which is loving, kind, meaningful and soul-worthy. I was hooked.

Recently I have been moved to share this positive statement with some friends who are going through dire circumstances. One individual, the father of five, had just lost his job; a woman was diagnosed with cancer; and another woman who had nursed her husband until his death now faced the sad prospect of going through the rest of her life alone.

With no conscious forethought, I just softly dropped this seed into our conversations: Today Is the First Day of the Best Years of Your Life. It took a few minutes for it to sink in, but their energy shifted and a subtle change was evident in each person. I believe this positive declaration holds something wonderful for all of us if we are open to the possibilities inherent within the fullness of its meaning. Of course the choices we make each day will determine whether the seed takes root and grows into the full reality of the promise.

I realize that no matter how difficult our life circumstances may seem the truth is that the point of power is within us to make a choice at any time to change our thoughts and to change our lives. It is true that as we think, so we are, and it is done unto us as we believe.

I know this is true because in the past I didn’t know that I had any control over my life or my thoughts, so I was stuck in the victim role. This continued for several decades until I embraced the philosophy that what we think and feel today determines our tomorrows. That is the solution, the remedy: Pure and simple.

The truth is that we are always successful. No matter what we are experiencing right now, we created it. If it’s really bad, and our life is filled with negativity and lack, just think how really skilled we are at creating such undesirable stuff. The good news is that we have the power and the ability right now to turn that around and start creating the lives we truly desire.

Today Is the First Day of the Best Years of Your Life. Live it and pass it on!
___________________________________
Copyright © 2009 by Fern Stewart Welch

The author’s books: “You Can Live A Balanced Life In An Unbalanced World!” and “The Heart Knows the Way – How to Follow Your Heart to a Conscious Connection with the Divine Spirit Within” are available at Amazon.com and other online booksellers, as well as through major bookstores such as Barnes & Noble and Borders.

No comments: