Monday, May 5, 2008

We Aren't Meant to "Do" Life Alone

For the five years since my husband’s death, I chose to live a very simple and contemplative life. This has served me well on many levels. I had time to ponder the experiences I had during my husband’s lengthy decline and to assimilate the new information into my life, as well as to complete the writing of several books about the insights I gained. I also began healing from the stresses of trying to be a superwoman, a bad choice that I bought into years ago when I was trying to balance being a single mother with a career in the corporate world.

While a simple and quiet life agreed with me for years, I was recently surprised when my comfortable rut began to feel not so comfortable. I sensed that I was to move out of this refuge and become more connected with the rest of the world. Still I was in resistance to these feelings until I realized this is our soul’s way of letting us know there is something else we are to do. As long as we are alive we are meant to continue growing and changing.

However, in order to support my desire to maintain inner balance and harmony, I sought a connection with a spiritual community that would resonate with the core of my being. The one I selected is blessed with a young leader whose messages are directly applicable to those who desire to become conscious and aware and to live more meaningful and purposeful lives.

Recently she talked about the growing number of “Lone Ranger’s” who feel they are on their own and have to do everything themselves. I recalled a time when I was a member of that group. Back then it never occurred to me to let anyone know I was in a difficult situation, to ask for help, or that there was anyone out there who could or would support me.

The speaker’s primary point was that when we think we are on our own, and can’t expect help in any situation, we actually block life from helping us. We are then correct that there is no hope of help because our rigid thoughts are actually preventing life – in the form of any one or any thing – from coming to our aid.

As to why anyone of us would elect to make life so much more difficult by choosing such thoughts, the speaker explained that in many instances it is pride – a desire to appear perfect so that we won’t be judged – or shame over the mistakes we’ve made that got us into our current circumstances.

She reminded us that asking for help isn’t a sign of weakness—it is a sign of wisdom. As she said, the wiser the person the sooner they are able to reach out and ask for help. We all know it takes courage to move out of any comfort zone/rut we’ve built for ourselves, and even more to be vulnerable enough to open to support from others. Yet it is the smartest thing we can do for ourselves.

At this stage, I know that it takes courage to go through life, and the ideal way to do it is by helping and being helped by those around us. We need all the assistance we can get. Every soul on earth is faced with challenges at some time in their life, which is natural, normal and right. Challenges=lessons=growth=change=Life.

Learning lessons and growing in conscious awareness is the only reason we are here. We were never meant to go through life alone. We forget that we are all in this together—and the need for support and community on our journey is universal.
_______________________________
Copyright 2008 by Fern Stewart Welch

The author’s book THE HEART KNOWS THE WAY—How to Follow Your Heart to a Conscious Connection with the Divine Spirit Within is available at Amazon.com and other online booksellers, as well as through major bookstores such as Barnes & Noble and Borders.

No comments: