Monday, October 22, 2007

Creating a New Road Map to Health

I vividly recall a comment made by my children’s paternal great-grandmother Mary Talbot Simonds at age ninety. She smiled broadly and said, “If I had known I was going to live this long, I would have taken better care of myself.” I can relate to that statement.

Like many others blessed with good health, I thought that by following a common sense approach to diet and exercise – and staying current with medical and dental checkups – that I would be able to maintain my health at or near this desired level. Much of my sense of security was based on the fact that for the past five years, I have experienced the most peaceful, purposeful and satisfying time of my life.

Apparently I had conveniently forgotten about the effect the stresses and strains of prior years had on my body. I am now facing a number of chronic health challenges that many mature adults typically experience. And like many others at this stage, I have been weighing the pros and cons of prescription drugs and the unknown side-effects and future consequences.

According to my belief, illness represents an imbalance in our mental, emotional and/or spiritual aspects that eventually, if left unchecked, manifests as a dis-ease in the physical body. It is a signal that something is intervening with the body’s natural ability to heal itself, and we need to pay attention.

I also believe that all the circumstances we draw to us in life – including our physical condition at birth, accidents and disease processes – are opportunities presented by our soul to learn specific lessons. Of course we don’t have to become conscious partners in the adventure called life. We can just stand by and let life happen to us, as victims, or we can become loving, knowledgeable participants in the process.

My choice is to use the chronic conditions as a wake-up call and to answer my soul’s invitation to once again stop, look within and learn. I have known for years that Spirit is the power, mind is the builder and the physical side of life is the result. It is my desire to see what I can do to help my body regain balance.

It isn’t an easy choice. There is a surreal and fear-based emphasis on disease in our country today. We are bombarded with offers for quick-fix drugs and remedies for every ailment imaginable without much knowledge of what the effects of long-term usage will be.

I know my method isn’t for everyone; no one method or approach is. Yet I am relying on one of the strengths I gained from past experiences: I know that I am willing – once something finally gets my attention – to look within and work with the messages inherent in any life challenges. I also know that what Dr. Wayne Dyer teaches is true—when you change your thoughts you change your life.

In selecting a team of conventional and complementary physicians to be my partners – I expect them to support me in doing what I can on my own – and, equally as important, to let me know when the greater wisdom would include the use of conventional medicine.

I also recall the fullness of Mary Talbot Simond’s life. Not only was she a role model for unconditional love, she manifested a strong and unwavering trust in God, herself, her body and life. I realize that she lived my long-term goals for health and life—to meet them with love instead of fear.
________________________________
Copyright 2007 by Fern Stewart Welch

The author’s book THE HEART KNOWS THE WAY—How to Follow Your Heart to a Conscious Connection with the Divine Spirit Within is available at Amazon.com and other online booksellers, as well as through major bookstores such as Barnes & Noble and Borders.

No comments: